Search This Blog

Becoming a True Champion Chat

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Part I: Consistent High Levels of Performance: How It’s Done

In my blog Four Attributes That Lead To Athletic Greatness I discussed, in detail, attributes that athletes need in order to achieve greatness. It was in that article I alluded to the idea of being able to achieve elevated levels of performance on a consistent basis as one way athletic greatness is demonstrated. I am certain that many athletes, no matter what level, can remember a time, or times, where they felt they had competed at peak levels. In the “zone” you might say. However, how many can remember doing it regularly or most of the time? How many can truly consider themselves one of those rare individuals their teammates count on to give their best and perform at their best, consistently? Easy to assume you can, much tougher to actually go out and do both.


I believe that there is a technique or training strategy (whether you compete in a team or individual sport) that will increase your potential of accomplishing this consistent high level of performance I am referring to. As an athlete, it was something I used daily (helping to separate myself from the competition), insisted on as a coach (even though, at times, I was not sure my athletes were completely vested), and something I find very few athletes today truly understand (at least when I ask), let alone are willing to adopt.

The technique I am referring to is not something out of the ordinary or considered a brilliant stroke of genius. Rather, it is a slightly different application of something most are already familiar with, goal setting. However, in this context, it is the idea of setting very specific training objectives that you are obligated to accomplish on a daily basis.

Setting daily objectives is something I see few athletes take the time to do, let alone accomplish. Most athletes, if you ask, will relate objectives and goals to what they want to achieve by the middle or end of a season. There are not many who will be able to tell you exactly what they are going to accomplish at practice, before they leave, on any given day. It might seem insignificant to some but the difference over the long-term is something the very best understand well.

***Stay tuned for Part II of Consistent High Levels of Performance: How It’s Done where I go into more detail about this concept of setting and using daily goals.***


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails